In addition to our general therapy services we also offer specialist assessment and advice in the following areas;
Skillbuilders offers specialist therapy support for children with autism and their families. Our experienced therapists provide:
- Assessment (including diagnostic assessment)
- Individualised therapy programmes targetting key areas of communication, sensory processing, motor skills and social skills
- Small group therapy programmes to assist children to prepare for kindergarten and more formal learning
- Support and advice for parents and liaison with teachers
- Assistive technology - support and provision
Behaviour Support/Mental Health:
Behaviour support is often requested by parents and teachers who are trying to deal with challenging behaviours. Some of these may present as aggression, anxiety, self harm, restricitve eating, toiletting issues, school refusal, etc. Often there are sensory processing difficulties contributing to the behaviour. Our key role in supporting children with mental health and/or behavioural issues is to identify sensory processing contributors and provide intervention and support accordingly. Our assessment includes an analysis of the behavioural concerns and completion of a Sensory Profile with people close to the child. This then guides treatment options.
Babies and children who struggle with eating and drinking are referred for OT and/or Speech Therapy. This can include chidren who are fussy eaters as well as children with arange of other eating difficulties. Our therapists are qualified and experienced in the use of S.O.S, MORE and other treatment approaches.
High School Students - Handwriting difficulties:
Significant handwriting difficulties are often not identified for many children until they reach highschool when it becomes evident that it's difficult for them to sustain functional handwriting skills when speed and legibility are required. Our Occupational Therapists are specialists in this are for Western Australia. They offer a thorough assessment to determine the underlying cause to these difficulties (eg Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, Developmental Coordination Disorder), and the degree of difficuty. They provide intervention accordingly and liaise with the schools and the Curriculum Council of WA as needed for exam provisions in high school.
Services for Schools:
- Screening programmes for speech and language
- Screening programmes for motor skills development
- Professional development workshops for teachers
- Parent information sessions